Department of Economics
- About the Department
- Vision & Mission
- Goals & Objectives
- Programme Offered
- Department Library
- Board of Studies
- Sessional Question Papers
- Summative Question Papers
- Association / Club
- Seminars / Workshops
- Placement & Job Opportunities
- MoUs & LoCs Signed
- Innovative Practices & Best Practices
- Consultancy Services
- Future Plans
- Notable Alumni
About the Department
The Department of Economics was established in the year 1973. It is one of the oldest Departments of our college which is forty nine years old. Our Department is a full-fledged Department which consists of qualified staff members. The Department offers B.A. Economics Degree Programme and two certificate courses namely Certificate Course in Salesmanship and Certificate Course in International Business. Two faculty members of our Department has been recognized as a Ph.D. Research Guide by Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai. The Department has one Smart Class Room and two ICT enabled classrooms equipped with Computers, LCD Projector, Smart Board and White boards, and Sound Systems. The Department has a Separate Department Library which consists of 3725 books; the students are permitted to access the library in the morning and evening on all the working days, further daily news papers are subscribed for the development of reading habits and the knowledge on current affairsof the students.The Department has organized 3 National Level, 10 State Level and one Regional Level Seminars. The Department organizes Guest Lecture programmes on each semester. The Student Development Programme in the name of OIKOS Meet is conducted once in a week. The Department arranges industrial visits frequently. The Department has published 3 edited volumes with ISBN. The Department signed MoUs with People’s Organization for Rural Health, Education and Economic Development (PREED), Madurai District, Gandhigram Trust, Gandhigram, Dindigul District, Tamil Nadu Council for Enterprise Development (TACED), Madurai, and Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) – National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT), Chennai.
✔ To provide good citizens with economic cum ethical values.
✔ Learn Economics and Leave as an Economist.
✔ To enrich the students of economics with all round personality development through curricular, co-curricular and extracurricular activities with holistic approach
To reach the vision and mission of the Department the following goals are focused:
1. To produce young and energetic economic graduates.
2. To provide an opportunities for the rural students to enroll the valuable degree course.3. To motivate the students to enroll their higher studies in the prominent institutions not only in India but also in abroad.
The main objectives of the department are
1. To enrich the subject knowledge.
2. To give guidance for getting employability
3. To encourage the students to become an entrepreneur.
4. To develop soft skills by conducting soft skill programmes.
5. To allow the student to participate seminars and workshops in outside the campus.
UG Programme Offered
Certificate Courses Offered
1. Sales Management
2. International Business
Library Book Details
|S.No||Book Name||No.of Books|
|8||History of Economic Thought||18|
|12||Human Resource Management||67|
|20||Economics of Development and Planning||69|
|24||Principles of Economics||27|
|26||General Economic Topics||1737|
Board of Studies – University Nominee (from 09-06-2021 to 08-06-2023)
| Dr. K. Sadasivam
Department of Environment Economics
Madurai Kamaraj University
Madurai – 625 021
Results of End Semester Examinations of Final Year B.A., Economics
|Academic Year||Month and Year||No. students Appeared||No. students Passed||Percentage of Pass|
The Department of Economics administers the Economics Association which was established in the year 2002. All the students of Economics are the members of the association. The Head of the Department acts as president of the association and the staff members are act as advisory committee members. OIKOS Meetthe Student Development Programme is conducted by the Economics Association once in a week. In this meet following programme activities are conducted by the students:
✔ Paper presentation to develop presentations skills.
✔ Introduction about prominent National and International educational institutions to motivate students for higher studies.
✔ Quiz Progrmme for acquiring current economic affairs.
✔ Who am I? to know the eminent in economics.
✔ Weekly News in English to know the up to date news in English.
✔ Weekly News in Tamil to know the up to date news in English.
✔ In addition to the OIKOS Meet, the association organizes Guest Lectures Programmes for enriching the knowledge of students of Economics.
Centre for Competitive Examinations
The Department of Economics has established the Centre for Competitive Examinations in the year 2021. The objectives of the Centre are
1.Conducting special programme for the preparation of competitive examinations.
2.Motivating the students to apply for various competitive examinations.
3.Conducting the frequent group discussion about the opportunities.
4.Permitting the students to take competitive examinations books from the department library. By this the students can refer the costly books with free of cost.
5.Inviting the eminent alumnus who have qualified the competitive examination and in the Government service to share their experience and to give confidence to the students in preparing the competitive examinations.
Details of MoUs Signed and Activities Conducted
|S.No.||Date of Signing MoU||Name of the Organization||MoUs||Activities Conducted|
|1||08.10.2014||People’s Organization for Rural Health, Education and Economic Development (PREED), Madurai.||Click Here|
|2||11.08.2017||Gandhigram Trust, Gandhigram, Dindigul.||Click Here|
|3||05.02.2019||Tamil Nadu Council for Enterprise Development (TACED), Madurai.||Click Here|
|4||24.12.2020||Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) – National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT), Chennai.||Click Here|
1. Conducting Soft Skill Programme.
2. Project Report Preparation at UG Level.
3. Newspapers are subscribed by the Department and permit the students to read the newspapers daily.
4. The students are permit to use the department library regularly.
5. Developing self-employment skill by hands on training.
The following are the best practices of our Department
1. Conducting Remedial class for weak students.
2. Providing study material for weak students.
3. Providing Question Bank for the entire course.
4. Conducting career guidance progrmmes.
5. Allowing the students to participate all the seminars and competitions outside the campus.
The following are the feature plan of our Department:
1. Start Post Graduate Progrmme.
2. Get the recognition as Centre for Research from the affiliated University.
3. Start Centre Statistical Survey.
4. Sign more number of MoUs with reputed institutions.
5. Conduct ICSSR and UGC sponsored Seminars and Workshops.
6. Arrange all India educational tour in connection with subject.
7. Make all the Classrooms with ICT enabled facilities.
8. Start YouTube Channel for Department.
9. Quarterly Students journal.